My family went camping this past weekend and I affirmed that you can be a happy camper. However, as we engaged in that timeless camping ritual of burning marshmallows so we can eat them between graham crackers and chocolate, I finally came clean with myself – I don’t like s’mores… Chocolate is good, graham crackers are tasty and I really enjoy a nicely roasted (not burned) marshmallow. But I really don’t care too much for combining the three. It’s probably not the taste so much as the experience – biting through a crispy cracker and a hard piece of chocolate to get to the mallow is a high price to pay when I could eat them separately and still have gum tissue remaining on the top of my mouth.
Anyway, looks like this is another something you ought to know:
P.S. I would be remiss if I had a s’mores post without mention of The Sandlot. Would have included a video but youtube has let me down with its featured and recommended videos. So here’s the dialogue instead. Just imagine you’re in a tree house…
- Ham Porter: Hey, you want a s’more?
- Smalls: Some more of what?
- Ham Porter: No, do you want a s’more?
- Smalls: I haven’t had anything yet… so how can I have some more of nothing?
- Ham Porter: You’re killing me, Smalls! These are s’mores stuff. Now pay attention. First you take the graham. You stick the chocolate on the graham. Then, you roast the mallow. When the mallow’s flaming, you stick it on the chocolate. Then you cover it with the other end. Then, you stuff. Kind of messy, but good!